Official Community Plan (OCP)
Each year, the City produces an annual report that reflects on the City’s progress in implementation of the Official Community Plan. As we monitor and track our progress in achieving the vision, we are able to adjust our actions and behaviour as needed.
What is an Official Community Plan?
An Official Community Plan is a general statement of the local government’s broad objectives and policies with respect to the character of existing and proposed land use and servicing requirements in the area covered by the Plan - in this case the entire City.
The OCP serves as a foundation for all policies, regulations, and decisions pertaining to land use and development in a municipality. The Plan provides guidance for economic, environmental, and social considerations, as well as physical design and development. It promotes quality of life, future growth, community development, economic growth, provision of amenities and services, transportation systems, and affordable housing. It also promotes environmental sustainability and targets the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions in the area.
Key Themes in Creating Our Future
The following themes have emerged and will be covered in a number of locations within the OCP:
- Social Sustainability Specific social sustainability themes addressed in the OCP include anticipating demographic shift, accessibility, affordable and flexible housing, neighbourhood livability, and food security.
- Economic Sustainability Specific economic sustainability themes addressed in the OCP include employment flexibility, conservation of employment lands, and creating an attractive downtown and neighbourhoods.
- Environmental Sustainability Specific environmental sustainability themes addressed in the OCP include protection of environmentally sensitive areas, reductions in greenhouse gases and sustainable transportation.
Download the full version of the OCP. Or download each Chapter by clicking on the following headings:
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Williams Lake
- Chapter 3: Imagine Our Future
- Chapter 4: General Policy Areas
- Policy Area 1: Social Well-Being
- Policy Area 2: Lively Downtown
- Policy Area 3: Active and Convenient Transportation
- Policy Area 4: Affordable Housing and Livable Neighborhoods
- Policy Area 5: World Class Recreation
- Policy Area 6: Cherished Local Ecosystems
- Policy Area 7: Distinctive Arts, Culture, and Heritage
- Policy Area 8: Partnering with First Nations
- Policy Area 9: Resilient Economy
- Policy Area 10: Local Food and Agriculture
- Chapter 5: Greenhouse Gas Reduction Targets, Policies, and Actions
- Chapter 6: Land Use
- Chapter 7: Development Permit Areas
- Chapter 8: Infrastructure and Municipal Services
- Chapter 9: Implementations
- Schedule A: Water Wise Regional Plant Guide
The following maps can be found in their related chapters as indicated in () below.
- Map 1: Transportation Infrastructure Map (Chapter 8)
- Map 2: Water and Sewer Infrastructure Map (Chapter 8)
- Map 3: Land Use Plan Map (Chapter 6)
- Map 4: Consolidated Geotechnical Hazard Map
- Map 5: Development Permit Area Map
- Map 6: Development Permit Area Downtown Map
- Map 7: Fire Interface Development Permit Area Map
Official Community Plan Amendments
Official community plan amendments may change the projected land use designation of an area or a specific property. The policies in the plan may also be amended. Such amendments shall continue to reflect the goals and objectives of the community. The amendments must be approved by City Council through a bylaw process as provided for in the Local Government Act.
Imagine Our Future
OCP Amendment Guide
OCP Amendment Application
City of Williams Lake ICSP
Decision Making Framework