- City Services
- Building Inspection
Part 21 of the Local Government Act establishes Building Regulations for the Province including adoption of the Provincial Building Code.
Council has adopted a Building Bylaw which gives the Building Inspector authority to regulate, pursuant to the Provincial Building Code, all building activity within the municipal boundaries. Public safety is the major consideration of this office.
The Building Inspector reviews applications and issues permits for new construction, extensions or alterations to buildings within the City. In more detail, the following duties are undertaken by the Building Inspector:
- Accepts Building Permit Applications.
- Checks plans for compliance with Building Codes, Zoning Requirements, Building and associated Bylaws.
- Discusses with design professionals the requirements of the Building and related Codes.
- Assists the public with land use, zoning, subdivision and building requirements.
- Keeps up-to-date on changes to all pertinent Codes and Bylaws.
- Monitors and inspects construction and demolition projects.
- Monitors the City for projects without permits.
- Prepares reports/information for the Board of Variance and acts as secretary.
- Maintains Building Department drawing storage reference library.
- Issues Building, Plumbing, Demolition, Moving, Sign and Temporary Permits.
- Inspects premises at business license application stage to ensure compliance with Bylaws and Codes.
Building Permit Application
For Building Permit information including, under what circumstances a Building Permit is required, or what the Permit Holder is responsible for, you may wish to download the Building Permit Applications here. After completing the application you can mail it to, or drop it off at, City of Williams Lake, 450 Mart Street, Williams Lake, BC V2G 1N3, fax it to (250) 392-4408, or E-Mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building Reports & Annual Comparison Report
Building activity within the City of Williams Lake municipal boundaries is tracked and reported on a monthly basis. Copies of the monthly reports and annual reports are located in the Documents section.
Development Services Department
450 Mart Street
Williams Lake, BC