Subdivision of property is a process that includes:
• Adjusting or realigning an existing property line;
• Creating several properties from one or more existing properties ;
• Creating bare land strata lots from one or more existing properties; and
• In some cases, leases of 3 years or more may require a subdivision approval.
Subdivisions are considered by the City of Williams Lake Approving Officer.
Approval for subdivision is needed to ensure that the community's standards are met with regard to:
• Conformance with the Official Community Plan and other City plans;
• Conformance with Zoning Bylaw and Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw;
• Size and shape of lots, and adequacy of buildable area;
• Adequacy of roads, lanes and emergency vehicle access;
• Adequacy of open spaces and walkways;
• Preservation of natural features like ravines, streams, trees;
• Protection of views;
• Compatibility of overall subdivision pattern with the neighbourhood;
• Adequacy of sanitary sewer, water, drainage, street lights and other services; and
• Protection of opportunity for future subdivisions for lands adjacent to or beyond the lands being subdivided.