The City of Williams Lake commends the efforts of the Williams Lake Stampede Association board of directors, its announcer and volunteers, medics and the Williams Lake RCMP for a quick and effective response to Sunday’s targeted shooting incident behind the grandstand during the Williams Lake Stampede’s final performance.
“It’s extremely disappointing and unfortunate that this senseless incident has thrown a shadow over the return of the Williams Lake Stampede following a two-year hiatus and what was such an incredible weekend for the entire community,” said Mayor Walt Cobb.
“We are so thankful that the thousands in attendance were evacuated from the rodeo grounds in a calm and orderly manner. Our hats go off to all involved who ensured everyone’s safety. We can only hope those responsible for this criminal activity are dealt with appropriately by the justice system.”
The City of Williams Lake will continue to share information as it becomes available. Although not an exhaustive list, resources offering support are available at:
- Interior Crisis Line Network: 1.888.353.2273
- Canadian Mental Health Association Cariboo-Chilcotin Branch: 250.398.8220
- Suicide Help Line: 1.800.353.2273
- Mental Health Support: 310.6789
- KUU-US Indigenous Crisis Line: 1.800.588.8717
- Community Crisis Response Team: 250.305.8496
- Interior Health-Mental Health and Substance Use: 250.392.1483
Kim Dressler, Executive Assistant
City Hall: 250.392.2311